Position Title: Chaplain to Nowra High School
Location: Nowra High School, Nowra NSW 2541
Hours: 18 hours per week
Now over 125 years old, a ministry of Churches of Christ in NSW, consists of a network of over 90 churches. As a not-for-profit Christian organisation, our key agency in NSW includes Fresh Hope Communities, which provide a range of services to support the sectors of aged care, social and community welfare, hospitality and ministry.
The Chaplain to Nowra High School provides pastoral support and spiritual care to Students, their families and Staff, whilst working collaboratively with the churches of Christ chaplaincy team to provide holistic care.
Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Assisting school counsellors and staff in the delivery of student welfare services
- Being available to provide guidance on general religious, spiritual and pastoral matters (including values and ethics) for the school community
- Being available to provide comfort and support to students, staff and families during times of stress
- Liaising with executive staff, school counsellors and individual teachers to identify and support students in need
- Providing holistic care
- Taking an individual interest in students in need, building on their strengths and supporting them through difficult issues
- Develop a holistic chaplaincy ministry (spiritual, emotional, social & physical) appropriate to the school community
- Lead self by contributing to the overall culture of a high school by being a loving, joyful, enthusiastic non anxious presence.
- Keeping up to date records and data entries
- Fulfil the legal requirements of the role
- Participate in the programs offered for the care and support of chaplains
- Stay at the forefront of his/her own ongoing professional development.
You will be able to demonstrate the following key qualities:
- Possess recognised theological, chaplaincy and pastoral care qualifications or equivalent experience providing pastoral care in a school setting
- To be endorsed as Ministering Person with Churches of Christ in NSW or a willingness to undertake endorsement
- Be available to minister outside of normal working hours in the event of emergency, crisis and unexpected need
- An understanding of school chaplaincy
- Perception of an individual’s spiritual needs
- Sensitivity to the needs of a person as they progress through their life stages
- High spiritual integrity and a heart to serve in God’s Kingdom
- Relevant Tertiary qualifications and/or experience related to the youth focus required by the position.
To be successful in your new role you will need to demonstrate:
- A minimum of three years’ experience providing pastoral care or chaplaincy services at an advanced level in a school or community environment
- Associate Chaplain minimum of twelve months experience providing pastoral care at a basic to intermediate level
- Possess intermediate level computer skills using Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel & Power Point
- Highly developed problem solving, decision making and negotiation skills
- COVID vaccinations and booster
- Possess a current National Police Check, or ability to acquire one
- Possess a current Working with Children Check or ability to acquire one
- High level communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in an organisational setting
- Current NSW Driver’s Licence.
Submit your application HERE
Applications close at the end of business, 25 August 2023.
churches of Christ in NSW/ACT
Level 3, Building B, 1 Homebush Bay Drive RHODES NSW 2138
P.O. Box 3561 RHODES NSW 2138
Ph: (02) 8573 6000